Monday, January 14, 2013

Carrot Pilaf

Star Q


This is indeed a slow month for me, where cooking and making entries regarding them are concerned.  Again, as mentioned before, this new school year has got me bogged down with tonnes of work; those that are already specified in my list of duties and the ad hoc ones that seem to appear out of nowhere, all of a sudden.

However, I take it in my stride and hope that I will be able to do my best; even if it means limiting my time in the tiny corner at home!  Anyway, last weekend I had my second daughter coming back (yet again! I wonder when she finds time to study!) and since it happened to be her birthday (not exactly because it fell on  2nd January!) the missus and I prepared an elaborate lunch.

The normal dish that is the favorite of the kids is the Ayam Masak Merah.  This time I made this Carrot Pilaf to go with it, among other dishes!

  • 2 cups Basmathi rice
  • 1 thumb size shredded ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 5 shallots, sliced
  • 1 lemongrass, bruised
  • 1 star anise 
  • 2 inches cinnamon quill 
  • 3 cardamoms 
  • 3 cloves
  • 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
  • 1 cup plain water
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tbs rose water
  • 4 tbs butter
  • Salt

Heat the butter in a pot and put in the spices (star anise, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves)  Next, saute the aromatics (shallots, lemongrass, ginger and garlic)  Then, add in the rice and stir until every grain is well coated with the butter and becomes translucent.  Pour in the water, salt (to taste) and milk, and simmer away until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.  Slowly stir in the grated carrots, sprinkle the rose water, cover the pot with a lid, turn off the heat and let the rice cook in its own steam for a further five minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment