Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mussels a la Paprik

Star Q


I am not a fan of shellfish not because I am too lazy to remove the shells but it's because I just don't like it.  I guess I haven't had the liking for shellfish, be they cockles, mussels or even clams, ever since I was a kid.  I guess the real reason why I have a dislike for them is due to an unpleasant childhood experience.

I remember when I was in my primary school, I always had to go and see the doctor for medication every time after I ate cockles (prepared in whatever way imaginable!)  The reason being, my tonsils would be swollen!  There was once when my tonsil situation was really bad, the doctor even suggested that I had it removed!  Either that or stop eating shellfish!

Well, years later, after many trips to the clinic, I found out that I actually can eat shellfish, but only if they were fully cooked (sadly to the point of being rubbery!)  But, I also found out I could get away from being sick if I ate them in moderation (by that I mean one or two!)

Now, as a dad, I shouldn't be thinking about myself (with regards to the things I can't eat) especially when my family loves them and has no problems or side-effects after eating them.  This is one dish that I enjoy, but just to be on the safe side, I only have the sauce and not the mussels!

  • 2 kg fresh mussels, cleaned
  • 5 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 20 birds eye chilies, halved
  • 1 large onion, cut into eight
  • 5 pieces kaffir lime leaves
  • 6 tbs oyster sauce
  • 4 tbs light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a wok and saute the onion and chilies until the onion is translucent, then add in the garlic.  Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar (at this point, don't worry if the sauce looks as if it is going to burn) and then put in the mussels, followed by the kaffir lime leaves. The mussels will release its own juices to make the sauce.  Give the dish a stir to evenly coat the mussels with the sauce.  They are cooked when the shells are open.  Serve immediately







No comments:

Post a Comment