Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pahang's Asam Tempoyak Patin

Star Q


I know I recently posted an Asam recipe two days ago, but when the craving for sour dishes hit you, it just comes again and again, and you are never satisfied of having just one particular Asam dish.  It's just like having Tom Yam.  You can crave for the normal red one, or the light one or the creamy one! All asam (i.e. sour!)

Thanks to the recent durian season, my better and industrious half, managed to salvage quite a lot of durian flesh and turned it into Tempoyak.  Sometimes I surprise myself!  I do not eat the fresh durian flesh, but once it is fermented and turned into some delectable dish, I devour it with zest and gusto!  Including this dish which is shared with me by my in-laws.  It is very similar to the regular Asam Tempoyak I would normally have, save the addition of Chinese marrow.

  • 3/4 kg Patin fish (river one if possible)
  • 1 Chinese marrow, skinned and seeded, cut into finger lengths
  • 20 green birds eye chilies, pounded
  • 1 inch fresh turmeric, pounded
  • 1 large turmeric leaf, tied into a knot
  • 10 Vietnamese mint leaves
  • 1 torch ginger flower, halved
  • 1 cup Tempoyak
  • 1 piece Asam Gelugor
  • 750 ml water
  • Salt to taste

Put everything in a pot (except the salt), bring to a boil and continue to simmer slowly until the fish and marrow are cooked,  Before turning off the heat, season with salt.  The asam is ready to be served.

Note : Even though, this is a Pahang dish, it may vary from one district to another within the state.  And I have adapted it to be more similar to Negeri Sembilan dish where no shallots are used in order not to compromise the overall taste of the dish since shallots tend to sweeten the dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment