Friday, December 28, 2012

Ayam Penyet Sambel Ijo

Star Q


The other day, my sister posted a picture of her having lunch with my dad.  Obviously, since were live so far apart from each other, it is often difficult for us to sit down and have meals together.  But, the interesting thing was, my sister managed to include the name of one of the dishes they had; Iga Sambel Ijo.

I checked the internet and 'iga' means 'ribs/beef'.  The name of the dish sounded so interesting, so I searched the net for a recipe I could adapt.  I found this one by Davika Indriputra (with thanks)  The recipe called for 'iga', and since I cannot eat beef, I substituted it with chicken.  Once again, I have adapted this recipe to my liking.

  • 2 chicken thighs
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 lemongrass, bruised
  • 2 cm galangal, bruised
  • 50g palm sugar, grated
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 shallots, pounded
  • 3 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds, pounded
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 liter plain water
  • 4 cups vegetable oil

Put all the ingredients above in a pot and just barely cover the chicken with water. Bring to a boil and continue to simmer until you are left with about 1/2 cup of the boiling liquid (which should be sauce like)  Take out the chicken.  Heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden.  Dish out the chicken and set aside.

For the Sambel Ijo
  • 20 green birds eye chilies
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 green tomatoes, chopped
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until fine and smooth.  To serve the chicken,  slather it with the reserved boiling liquid/sauce evenly.  Place a dollop of the Sambel Ijo on top of every chicken portion.


No comments:

Post a Comment