Thursday, December 27, 2012

Steamed Durian Cake

Star Q


It was durian season earlier this month. and as usual the abundance of this King of Fruits locally, at once encouraged me to try out a few recipes using it as one of the ingredients.  As you may already know (or not, if you are new here!) I don't like to eat the raw durian flesh.  But, I will eat it once it has been turned into some kind of dish or dessert.

Well, I decided to try out this Steamed Durian Cake recipe by Jamie Jong.  Incidentally, the cake was supposed to be a layered cake but I decided to make small cakes in mini cake moulds, so I only made them into two layers.  The cake was rich and moist, even when eaten cold.  I loved it!  BTW, I halved all the ingredients!
  • 250 g butter
  • 100 g sugar (I used soft brown)
  • 6 eggs
  • 100 ml condensed milk
  • 140 g AP flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 150 g durian flesh - mashed
  • A few drops of orange coloring

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then, add in the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.  Stir in condensed milk.  Sift the flour and baking powder together, then fold this into the mixture.  Divide the mixture into two equal portions.  Add durian flesh to one portion and orange coloring to the other.

Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch mini cake moulds.  Fill the bottom half of the moulds with the durian mixture and and steam for five minutes.  Spoon in the orange mixture on top of the white mixture and steam for another 5 minutes (an additional 5 minutes to ensure thorough cooking)  Once cold, let cool then unmould and the cakes are ready to be served

Note :  And a Happy Christmas to all those celebrating it!





No comments:

Post a Comment