Monday, December 24, 2012

Bonda's Asam Pedas

Star Q


What a relief!  After almost three weeks (has it really been that long?) I finally have the chance to switch on my laptop; most importantly to make new entries to my blog.  No, I have not been anywhere nice for any holidays, but I have been busy working (yes, working even on holidays!)  

And I thought, what better way to renew my love affair with cookery than by making an entry based on one of my late mother's recipes which is Asam Pedas.  I know there is probably hundreds of variations of Asam Pedas, but people say that a mother's cooking is the best.  And this blog is the best vehicle for me to immortalize this recipe.
  • 2 mackerels
  • 5 shallots
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 cm toasted shrimp paste
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp mixed spice (black mustard seeds, fenugreek and cumin)
  • 2 cups tamarind juice
  • 1 stalk curry leaves
  • 4 tbs vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste

Put the shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and fennel seeds in a blender and blend until fine and smooth.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pot then saute then fry the curry leaves followed by the mixed spices.  Once aromatic, add in the blended ingredients.  When the spices are cooked,  pour in the tamarind juice.  Let this come to the boil before adding the fish.  Adjust seasoning and continue to simmer for about 5  minutes.  The Asam Pedas is ready to be served.


No comments:

Post a Comment