Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tat Telur / Egg Tarts

Star Q


Well, I know this is probably not the newest type of dessert in the world but hey, it's the fasting month and the urge to bake something for iftaar is there.  And the easiest kind of pastry I can think of is to make some kind of mini tart.  I've made fruit tarts before and I've also made cheese tarts, so I thought I'd give egg tarts a go.


Anyway, this egg tart is one of my kids favourite.  I noticed that every time we stop by a bakery, egg tarts will be one of their requests, and when you buy them at bakeries, they are really quite expensive.  So, I gave it a try and hey, it is not that easy to make either.  For these egg custard I followed Azlita of azlitamasammanis fame; but I reduced the quantity by half.  For the crust, I used the same recipe for my fruit tarts and cheese tarts.

For the egg custard :
  • 1 tin evaporated milk
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 4 grade A eggs
  • A little yellow food colouring

Stir the sugar with the warm water until the sugar dissolves.  Then simply stir in the rest of the ingredients and carefully pour into the prepared shells.  Bake at 180 C for about 20 minutes.   Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment