Sunday, March 17, 2013

Strawberry Oreo Tarts

Star Q


I made this tart in addition to the Beef Rice I made last week.  Like I said, it is all well and good to care for your students even during the weekends, but it is during these two days that your kids need you more since they see you less during working days.  Anyway, cooking is such a sheer joy to me that it helps to release my stress accumulated throughout the week!

This one I made mainly as a distraction from the weeks hard work.  I find it a joy to see all the ingredients slowly taking shape from their raw state to something that tastes so nice and sweet.  I actually adapted this recipe by Anna Olson by using Oreo biscuits as the crust instead of Graham crackers.  I also used light brown sugar instead of white.

Basic Vanilla Pastry Cream :
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3 tbs caster sugar (I used light brown sugar)
  • 2 tbs cornstarch (I replaced it with custard powder)
  • 2 tbs unsalted butter

I didn't use the tempering method to prepare the pastry cream.  Mine is the simpler method where I mix the custard powder gradually with milk, whisking briskly so that there are no lumps.  Then I whisk in the sugar, followed by the eggs (lightly beaten) and the vanilla essence.  I heat the mixture, stirring it continuously, until it is thick enough to draw a figure eight at the back of a wooden spoon.  After turning off the heat, quickly whisk in the butter.  Pour into a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool.

Strawberry Oreo Tarts :
  • (I halved the original quantity)
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I replaced it with Oreo crumbs)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and  cooled 
  • Some fresh strawberries, halved
  • (I omitted the pinch of salt)

In a bowl, mix the crumbs and flour, followed bu the sugar and melted butter.  Stir until crumbly then put 1 tbs of the mixture into muffin tins (12 hole mini muffin tins) and press gently into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 175 C oven.  Once cooked, cool completely, carefully take out of the tins and assemble.  

Spoon in about 1 tsp of the pastry cream into each tart shell and place half a strawberry into each.  Chill until ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment