Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nasi Daging / Beef Rice

Star Q


A teacher's work is never done.  Sometimes I think to myself if it is really worth all the hard work, sacrificing your weekends that you can spend with your family, just so that you can be with your students!  I mean, isn't spending more than eight hours a day for five days a week with the students more than enough?  In reality, on those working days, once you come home, you are drained out of your energy to entertain your family.  So, that is why I really look forward to the weekends.

However, today (9/3/13) I had to be one of the personnel on duty for a three-day camping activity held for about one hundred plus students.  I was reluctant to go, because my son had just come back yesterday, and I usually prepare special dishes for the family when all of us are together.  So you can imagine how difficult it is for me to forsake my family for others; on a weekend!  However, being the loyal staff, I thought I should go and I did.  But I managed to leave instructions with my missus to prepare this Beef Rice for us.  It's the least I can do after leaving them for others.  I also told her to wait for me so that we could have lunch together!

Adapted from WendyinKK

Beef Soup/Stock
  • 1 kg beef
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, crused
  • 1 tsp white peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp fennel
  • 3 cardamoms
  • 2 inch cinnamon
  • 2 star anise
  • 3 cloves
  • 1 lemon grass, bruised
  • 4 beef stock bullion 
  • 4 liters water

Put everything in a pot and boil for 1 to 2 hours until beef is tender.  Set cooked beef aside to cool, then slice thinly.  Set aside enough stock for the rice.   Season well the rest of the stock to make the soup to serve with the rice later.

Beef Rice :
  • 250 g Basmati rice, clean and rinse
  • 250 g Frangrant Siamese rice, clean and rinse
  • 2 tbs margarine
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cardamoms
  • 2 inch cinnamon
  • 1 tbs Kurma spice powder
  • 1250 ml beef stock
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs tomato puree
  • 250 ml evaporated milk

Heat margarine in a rice pot and saute the onion, cardamoms, cinnamon and garlic.  Saute until aromatic, then stir in the Kurma spice powder and tomato pure together with the rice until rice is thoroughly coated with spice mix.  Pour in the beef stock and evaporated and cook the rice until all moisture has almost evaporated.  Turn the heat down to a minimum, cover the pot and cook for another five minutes.  Turn the heat off and allow the rice to continue cooking in its own steam.  Fluff the rice with a fork.

Condiment for the beef - Asam Tomato
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 5 green birds eye chilies, chopped
  • 3 tbs lime juice
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 1 ginger torch bud, thinly sliced
  • 5 tbs tamarind juice
  • 4 large tomatoes, diced
  • Salt to taste

In a bowl, stir together the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, anchovy stock granules, salt and tamarind juice until sugar is diluted.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients and allow the flavors to macerate into the vegetables.

Serving suggestion as per picture.





2 comments:

  1. That's life as a teacher, not a choice whether to go or not to go.
    I do miss this dish but am not going to do this again in near future.
    Thanks for trying out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u for the recipe! My kids love this dish. Apparently 1kg of beef wasn't enough! Next time, will have to make it with 2 or 3kg of beef :-)

      Delete