Saturday, March 23, 2013

Petite Pink Pavlovas

Star Q



This is another one of those things I make only upon request.  My girl has been requesting me to make her some pavlovas for quite sometime back; to the point that she was getting angry at me! (this one is a little hot-tempered!)

I did tell her that I didn't like making fiddly things and things that would take a long time for me to see the result.  But her persistence finally got the better of me and I found myself making these mini pavlovas.  To up the wow factor a bit, I decided to make the pavlovas pink because I know that the girl likes pink!

This recipe is based on Anna Olson's Bird's Nest recipe.  The Bird's Nest was supposed to come out meringue like, but my result was something like a pavlova with a slightly chewy interior probably due to the strawberry emulco I added.

Bird's Nest
  • 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
  • 3/8 tsp cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp strawberry emulco

Preheat oven to 150 C.  Draw six 2 1/2 inch circles on parchment paper, flip paper over and place on baking tray.  Whip egg whites and cream of tartar at low speed.  Once egg whites are foamy, gradually pour in the sugar while whipping.  Continue whipping until soft peaks are achieved.  Then gently fold in the strawberry emulco.  Fill a piping bag (I don't have any star nozzled thingy!), cut the tip and pipe the meringue within the lines drawn on the parchment completely filling the circles.  Pipe edges up to 2 inches from the base.  Place meringues into the oven and reduce heat to 135 C.  Bake for 45 to 65 minutes.  Once cooked, cool completely at room temperature (I kept the meringues in an airtight container  ie. Tupperware, because I wanted to use them the next day!)

Cream
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1 tbs caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • Diced strawberries and kiwis macerated in 1 tbs of sugar

Whip the cream to soft peaks and stir in the sugar and vanilla.  Place a bird's nest onto a place, dollop the cream into the center and top with the diced fruits.  Serve immediately.








No comments:

Post a Comment