Saturday, March 2, 2013

Blueberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust

Star Q
ii.  Jom Masuk U!



And so, yesterday I took the day off from work because I was not able to relax on my birthday which incidentally fell on Monday the 25th of February.  I was really glad I took leave from work and I was not surprised that I did not miss the work environment at all; I didn't miss the common room, I didn't miss the paper work and most of all, I didn't miss the particular group of students!  Bliss!

I spent my time at home, just doing the things I like.  I pottered with my wife in the kitchen, with me baking the cheesecake and helping to cook the Beef Curry with Toasted Coconut (recipe to follow!),  I did some blogging, I did a little bit of gardening and some catching up with my reading (Jeffrey Archer no less!)  I guess, by occupying the time I had at home, I found that I didn't really miss not being in school.  I hope this feeling will continue to prevail when I retire from the profession!

Anyway, back to the Blueberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust.  I had been meaning to make this cake some time back (during the Lunar New Holidays, in fact) when I bought some blueberries.  But, the long hours I spend occupied with my school work has left me with practically no time to myself.  Even if I had the time, I would be too tired.  So, I froze the berries, and hence, on my day off, I made it; finally!

For the crust/base :

  • 200 g Oreo biscuits, finely crushed
  • 75 g unsalted butter

Melt the butter (make sure that the butter doesn't burn or boil)  Take it off the heat and stir in the biscuits.  Pour this into a 9-inch base-lined spring form tin.  Press using your knuckles to ensure that the base is compact.  Place the tin in the fridge while you prepare the filling.

Cheesecake filling :

  • 500 g soft cream cheese (room temperature)
  • 3 large eggs (if small, 3 eggs plus 1 yolk)
  • 350 g condensed milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • Zest of 2 limes

Preheat oven to 170 C.  Beat the cheese with a hand-mixer until it becomes soft and smooth.  Whisk in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour the mixture into the biscuit-lined tin and bake for 1 hour.  The cake is cooked when the top is slightly brown and it has a slight wobble.  Leave the cake in the oven to cool completely.  Serve cake after it has had time to rest in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment