Monday, November 5, 2012

Not-So-Red Velvet Cake!

Star Q


This is my second attempt at making this cake, all be cause my first daughter requested for it.  I always wonder why the intense desire for this cake because I personally cannot pin-point the difference (from any other ordinary butter cake) Actually, the first time I made it was in cupcakes form; that was out of sheer curiosity!

Anyway, this time around I scoured the net for another recipe (always a simple one!) and I found this one from realsimple.com (told ya! haha!)  I found the cake easy to do (redundancy here!); but the frosting was a challenge (for lazy people like myself!)  Thank heavens for mixers!

  • 8 oz butter
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs (I used 3 medium)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp red food coloring
  • 1 cup buttermilk (1 cup milk + 1 tbs lemon juice)

Heat oven to 170 C.  Grease two 8-inch round cake tins and dust with flour.  In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.  Beat butter and sugar until fluffy, then, beat in the eggs, vanilla, vinegar and food coloring until incorporated.

Fold in the flour in 3 additions alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions.  Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.  Once cooked, cool for 15 minutes before turning onto rack to cool completely.

Frosting :
  • 2 8 oz bar cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 4 oz butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy for 2 to 3 minutes.  Then gradually add in the sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.  


No comments:

Post a Comment