Sunday, August 5, 2012

Vicky's Sponge

Star Q


Last Sunday, the missus and I decided to visit a friend whose father is suffering from ailments related to the liver.  This particular ailment reduced his mobility to a mere minimum and my friend (a lady teacher) has to help him as he potters about in the house!  And as it is customary (for me at least) to bring something for the host whom I am visiting, I decided to make a simple cake.

I made butter cake actually, but divided the batch into two.  One batch I gave to my friend and the other for our Iftaar at home.  But I knew the kids would stare unappetizingly at it and I would be disheartened.  So, pushing the fact that the cake was small aside, I decided to split it into two and slather lots of strawberry jam in between!  My daughter shouted, 'Victoria Sponge!'  

Not really, I thought.   There was no cream and the cake looked rather flat; in short, it lacked a few criteria to be called 'Victoria Sponge', thus the name 'Vicky's Sponge'.   Anyway, the most important thing is, the cake disappeared on the same day!

  • 6 oz butter
  • 6 oz caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbs milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 6 oz self-raising flour
  • 6 tbs strawberry jam
  • 3 fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
  • 1 tbs icing sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar until white and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla essence and milk.  Fold in the flour until combined.  Place in a lined and greased baking tin (mine is 8 inches) and bake in a pre-heated oven at 175 C for 30 minutes.  Once cooked, cool completely.  Split the cake into two, and put lashings of strawberry jam on the bottom slice then top with the other half of the cake.  Dust some icing sugar on top and arrange the fresh strawberries on top.  





No comments:

Post a Comment