Monday, August 6, 2012

Lemon Curd Tarts

Star Q


It another dessert.  It looks like I've been making more desserts this week than anything else.  But as you may know by now, all my desserts for Iftaar are easy and breezy.  Like everyone else, I like to spend time in the kitchen, but I don't want to live in it!

So, for yesterday's Iftaar, I make this rather simple dessert using store bought puff pastry and a simple lemon curd I learned from Delia Smith way back in 1995.  In the programme, she made this lemon durd to go with her lemon cake (I hope to make it as an entry soon!)

When I made the lemon curd back then, I had some leftover to keep in the fridge.  I found that it could keep for a week and went well with plain crackers, filled in tart shells and even in trifles.  This time, I used it with my lazy version of a tart! Haha!  But, my late mom once said that if a person is really lazy, then she (or he!) will not even be in the kitchen!  So, there! :-)
  • 3 oz butter (preferably unsalted)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
  • 2 oz caster sugar

In a heat-proof bowl, whisk the sugar and lemon juice together then add the eggs.  Place the bowl over a pot containing barely simmering water, add the butter and  continue to whisk until the mixture becomes custard-like (I took about 10 minutes)  Once, cooked let cool.  Place a piece of cling film over the curd to avoid a film from forming.

I did the puff pastry base a day in advance and kept them in an air-tight container.  Simply cut rounds of the puff pastry and bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C for about 10 minutes (my oven time!)  Once lightly brown, let to cool.

To assemble, simply dollop a teaspoon of the lemon curd on top of the puff pastry crisps and garnish with fresh fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment