Sunday, August 5, 2012

Simple Lychee Pudding

Star Q


It's the weekend once again; a long awaited one no less.  I've (and most of my colleagues!) had to go through three meetings this week and the long hours really got on my nerves.  I used to remember, during fasting month, the school never conducted any meetings, plus the school hours were much shorter.  Those were the days!

So, that is why weekends like this, is so much looked forward to.  These are the only times I can actually relax (if you can call helping around the house, relaxing!) and also to try out a recipe or two.  And, for today's Iftaar, I made this easy and breezy recipe simply called Lychee Pudding (which I sneaked from Ummi's blog, with thanks!) plus extra for my neighbours.

10g powdered agar-agar
3 1/2 cups water (Ummi used 4 cups)
1 cup sugar
400 ml evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups lychee juice (from the can)
10 lychees (Ummi used 2 tins worth, diced)
Some glace cherries (Ummi diced them and added to the pudding)

Dilute the powdered agar-agar with 1/2 cup water, then pour into a pot together with the rest of the water and sugar.  Simmer gently.  Meanwhile in a blender, blitz together the lychees and the juice, and pour into the pot.  Stir continuously and add the milk.  Be sure to continue stirring because this mixture is rather thick.  I wanted a firmer pudding, so I reduced the water by 1/2 a cup.


Once the mixture starts to bubble at the edges, turn off the heat.  Work quickly, as the pudding starts forming a film on top the instant the heat is turned off.  Ladle the pudding mixture into your favorite moulds and leave to set.  Stuff red glace cherries into the lychees and decorate the pudding.  Serve cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment