Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Udang Goreng Berempah / Spiced Prawns

Star Q


I am the happiest when I see my family silently (or noisily) devouring the food that I (and sometimes, the missus) prepare.  It just gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing that they enjoy the food (even though they don't say it out loud!)  And it doesn't really matter if I can eat the food that I prepare or not.

In this case, it is one of the (many) types of food that the doctor has prohibited me from having, but he never said anything about preparing it for my family.  This simple dish where I simply threw in ingredients that were readily available in the fridge and around the house.

  • 750 g large prawns (deveined without removing the shells)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small piece ginger, chopped
  • 1 lemon grass, chopped
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp fish curry powder
  • 1 spring curry leaves
  • 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 4 tbs margarine
  • Salt and white pepper

Season the prawns with salt and white pepper.  Heat the margarine in a wok and fry the prawns until they are half cooked.  Dish out and set aside.  Discard 2/3 of the margarine used for cooking the prawns.  In the same wok, saute the curry leaves, garlic, ginger and lemon grass until fragrant.  Sprinkle in the chili powder and curry powder and fry for a few seconds until aromatic.  Return the prawns to the wok, season with salt and a pinch of sugar.  Just before dishing out the prawns, mix in the panko breadcrumbs till the prawns are well coated.  Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment