Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hokkaido Chiffon Cake

Star Q
ii.  Sukantara

Thank God I finally managed to get my hands on a new laptop because the previous one had some problems with the monitor.  I had initially wanted to send it for repairs but the guy who works at the computer centre said that the cost to repair it would be almost the same as buying a new unit.  So after mulling over the idea for quite a while (one month of mulling!) I finally decided to get this new one!

Plus I have been very busy with my new blog where I make entries about teaching resources especially worksheets related to reading and writing.  I got tonnes more materials in my resources vault; that will keep me occupied for quite a while.

But now back to this entry which I made when I had visitors coming over the other day.  This cake is quite tedious to make but the results was much loved by my guests and my family alike.  This recipe I took from the May issue of Aroma magazine.

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 30 g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 40 ml fresh milk 
  • 40 ml corn oil
  • 50 g cake flour (I used AP flour)
  • 20 g custard powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 egg white
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 80 g caster sugar

  • For the custard filling :
  • 1 tbs AP flour
  • 1 tbs cornflour
  • 4 tbs caster sugar
  • 200 ml fresh milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbs margarine (I used butter)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 170 C and prepare some cupcake paper cases.

Sift the AP flour, custard powder and baking powder three times into a bowl.  In another bowl, whisk the egg yolk and caster sugar.  Then whisk in  the vanilla, oil and milk.  Mix in the dry ingredients into this mixture thoroughly.  

In another bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until foamy.  Beat in the sugar a little at a time until soft peaks.  Mix 1/3 of this mixture into the flour mixture using the folding method, followed by the other 2/3 egg whites. Fill the paper cases until 80% full.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.  When cool, pipe in the custard.

For the custard : Place the flour, cornflour and sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pan.  Whisk in half the milk until there are no lumps then whisk in the egg.  Whisk in the rest of the milk.  Changing to a wooden spoon, heat the custard mixture, stirring constantly.  When the mixture starts to bubble and thicken, remove from heat and stir in the butter.  The resulting custard is quite a firm one that can be piped quite well.  Cool the custard as per usual procedure before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment