Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Haw Flakes Layer Cake

Star Q
ii.  Sukantara
iii.  Homophones


This is one of those cakes that you either love or hate to make.  The thing is, this cake is so tedious to make, it is no wonder that it is sold for such a hefty price in the market.  And the demand is always there, because even though it is difficult to make, it just simply delicious to eat!

I guess a lazy person like me should never attempt making a cake that is so time consuming; not only because I am lazy, but because I also have no patience for finickity recipes.  I surprised myself today by challenging myself to make this cake.  My apologies to Dayang Kek Sarawak from whose book this recipe was taken, because my version looks far different from her beautiful one in the book!

  • 450 g butter
  • 10 grade A eggs
  • 180 g caster sugar
  • 10 g ovalette
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 375 g condensed milk
  • 160 g hong kong flour
  • Haw flakes
  • Purple and red colouring

Place butter, sugar, vanilla essence and ovalette in a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Then gradually beat in the condensed milk.  Finally fold in the flour until just combined.

Preheat oven to 170 C.  Divide the mixture into three and colour two of them purple and red, leaving the other one plain.  Grease and line the base of an 8 x 8 inch baking tin.  Spoon in a think layer of the plain batter and arrange some Haw flakes on top.  Bake until the top has turned golden brown. Take out of the oven and let cool for a while before continuing with the next layer.  Repeat the process until all the batter is finished.

This cake is better eaten the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment