Thursday, September 29, 2016

Lasagna Bianca

Star Q



Our son and his wife usually comes home every fortnight, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, both of them were unable to keep up with that schedule.  Thus, after what seems like months, they finally had the opportunity to come home after four weeks.

This time around, my son did not make any requests as to what dish he would like us to prepare.  In his own words, he was just happy to be home and couldn't wait to eat whatever it was we had prepared.  But mum was adamant, and she insisted that her son requested for something.  In the end, he relented and asked if I could prepare lasagna for him.

Of course I was more than happy to make it, but I told him that I would make a different version compared to the ones I usually make using tomatoes.  I decided to make a white one this time around, with some very simple ingredients which I had on hand.  I was more than grateful that my kids enjoyed this white lasagna version just like the red tomato-ey version.

And my apologies to all Italians if I have got the adjective for lasagna wrong because, I am not an Italian and therefore, I don't know if lasagna is feminine or masculine and whether to use bianco or bianca!

  • 9 pieces quick-cooking lasagna sheets
  • 200 g minced chicken
  • 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced 
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp chicken stock granules 
  • 1 - 250 g tin cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 tin water (use the soup tin)
  • 3/4 cup grated Cheddar

Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan and saute the leeks until translucent.  Add in the minced chicken and stock granules.  Stir until cooked, dish out and set aside.  Prepare the soup as per instruction on the label, add the water and once it simmers, stir in the grated Cheddar until melted.  Turn off heat and let cool.

In an 8 x 8 casserole, spread a think layer of the mushroom soup at the bottom of the dish.  Place three pieces of lasagna sheets, top with half of the chicken mixture, followed by one third of the soup mixture.  Repeat the process ending with a layer of the mushroom soup at the top.  Bake lasagna in a preheated oven (180 C) for about 35 minutes or until the top of the lasagna has turned slightly golden brown.  Serve warm with caprese salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment