Thursday, September 22, 2016

Chicken with Ras el Hanout

Star Q



Sometimes I laugh at myself for being a bit peculiar compared to other people.  But on a second thought being peculiar or different from other people is not a bad thing after all; especially when I am not doing anything bad!

I guess it's just me.  Whenever my friends and I go to malls I seem to have a different opinion of where we should go first.  In the end we go out separate ways, and meet up later at an agreed time.  Some of my friends may go off shopping for clothes or stores selling electronic devices.  I on the other hand go to the supermarket and hunt for types of food not normally sold in small stores in the town where I live.

And in this particular situation,  I went stark raving mad when I found Ras el Hanout being sold in this well-known supermarket.  Of course there was sumac and other exotic middle eastern spices but the prices were quite exorbitant.  So, I consoled myself by purchasing a small but expensive container of Ras el Hanout and came up with this adapted recipe.

  • 2 whole chicken legs
  • 2 carrots, cut into 3 cm lengths, boiled until 1/2 cooked
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 2 onions, cut into eight wedges each
  • 8 cloves garlic, whole
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tsp Ras el Hanout
  • A pinch of dried thyme
  • 4 tbs greek yogurt
  • 15 dried apricots
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 180 C.  Mix the chicken, carrots, onion and garlic evenly with the lemon juice, yogurt, chili flakes, salt, pepper, dried thyme and Ras el Hanout.  Place the the vegetables and apricots in a roasting tin.  Put the chicken legs on top of the vegetables.  Roast for 35 minutes or until the chicken legs are cooked through.  Serve hot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment