Saturday, September 24, 2016

Cranberry Cheese Cake

Star Q



I am one of those weekend bakers who most of the time like to try something new; once in a while.  I have always watched my kids snacking on dried cranberries but have personally never developed the urge or interest to sample a few.

So, today I thought to myself, what if I put these dried cranberries into a cake.  And after scouring the internet, I found that my idea was a novel one! Haha!  I should have known that if cranberries can be turned into the cranberry sauces to be served during Christmas (I forget with what!), it can definitely be incorporated into other dishes and cakes.

So, I found this recipe in the net.  The recipe uses frozen cranberries, but I used dried.

  • 185 g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 150 g cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup SR flour
  • 2/3 cup AP flour
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • Icing sugar for dusting (optional)

First place the cranberries in a bowl together with the apple juice to macerate.  Preheat oven to 180 C.  Grease a fluted cake pan.  Beat butter, cream cheese and lemon rind until combined.   Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir in flours.   Drain the cranberries, wipe dry with kitchen paper; discard the apple juice. Fold through the cranberries.

Spoon the mixture the pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake is cooked.  Remove cake from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.  

1 comment: