Monday, June 13, 2016

Tofu Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Star Q
iii.  Lala Kimchi


On to the third day of this sudden desire to be a vegetarian, the search for sample recipes have reached a huge mind block because, for this endeavour I have promised myself that I will try to create my own recipes (no matter how unoriginal they may be!)

Well, I have twice posted recipes based on stuffed mushrooms but this time it is going to be totally vegetarian.  For someone who has never gone vegetarian for more than one day, the only protein I can think of is tofu.   I know legums are also a source of protein but I can't take legums!  In fact I can't eat tofu either, but tofu can be bland and so, become a good vehicle to absorb any flavour.  Hence, I am going to pretend I can eat it.

For this stuffed mushroom recipe I have decided to throw in whatever ingredients I have in the pantry and the fridge.  Fingers crossed that they will turn out okay; most importantly edible, which they did!

  • 6 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
  • 1 cup mashed tofu
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 grated ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chili flakes
  • 1/2 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 180 C.  In a small bowl. rub the breadcrumbs together with the butter until well mixed.  Set aside.  Place the rest of the ingredients (not including the mushroom caps)  plus the chopped mushroom stems and the breadcrumb mixture.  Once mixed, fill each mushroom cap with the mixture.  Be sure to slightly over fill the mixture forming a small mound.  Place the filled mushroom caps into a small backing dish.  Garnish with one small carrot cube each (optional).  Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for forty minutes.  I do this because I want the juice from the mushrooms and tofu to create some sauce.  For the remaining five minutes of cooking time, remove the foil, put the dish back into the oven to allow the tops to crisp slightly.  Serve hot or warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment