Monday, June 13, 2016

Sohoon Goreng

Star Q


The second day of the week-long vegetarian meal request continues with this simple dish which I have prepared countless number of times since it is a favourite with my kids.  Taking that into consideration, I decided to make a vegetarian version of it.

When I was preparing this vegetarian version, I thought that the person who requested it would find the dish bland and unappetising because all this while I have either added chicken or prawns or squids in the dish to bring out its umami.

But I did not hear any complaints.  I guess strong will and determination made a little blandness in this dish acceptable.  In fact the portion in the picture above was the last remaining bits of the dish I could salvage to be photographed!

  • 50g sohoon, soaked then rinsed 
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 shallots, minced
  • 2 pieces wood ear mushrooms, soaked in warm water, then julienned
  • 2 tbs vegetable-based oyster sayce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tbs thick soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a wok then saute the shallots, garlic and wood ear mushrooms.  Stir in the oyster sauce, thick soy sauce and water, and bring to a boil.  Next add in the sohoon and stir well to combine.  The noodle will quickly absorb the sauce.  Stir a few more times until all the moisture has been absorbed and the sohoon is cooked.  Turn off the heat and stir in the sesame oil.  Ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment