Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Chicken Pie Revisited

Star Q


OMG! It's been more than a month since I last posted in this blog, and I really need to write about something.  So, I guess I'll write about something I remember as a kid.  I remember the last time I made a proper pie was when I was in Form Five.  I had actually made it for my family to have for tea.  But it was quite unexpected when a cousin of mine dropped by that day and my mum served him a slice of the pie I had baked.


I was a bit embarrassed because the pie crust was not to my expectations.  The chicken filling was more than okay but the crust was not short enough, so it was a bit hard.  However, my cousin enjoyed the slice of pie given to him with a few praises thrown in here and there between mouthfuls of pie filling and pastry!

I had put off making a pie for quite some time now because I feel it is quite tedious to prepare.  But that request made by wife was the only encouragement I needed to finally make it!

Filling :

  • 400g chicken thigh, cubed
  • 400g potatoes, diced
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 2 tsp meat curry powder
  • 4 tbs cooking oil
  • 1 chicken stock cube
  • 1 cup water
  • Some salt

Heat cooking oil in a wok and saute the onions until softened.  Stir in the cumin powder and meat curry powder until aromatic.  Then add in the chicken cubes and potatoes.  Stir until chicken pieces are slightly cooked.  Pour in the water, add the stock cube, some salt (if necessary) and continue to cook until the mixture is almost dry and thickened.  Dish out and set aside to cool completely.

Shortcrust pastry :

  • 225g AP flour
  • 50g margarine
  • 50g shortening
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3-4 tbs cold water
  • 1 egg, beaten, to glaze the pie.

Follow procedure as in Quice Rencang Ayam recipe.  But once the pastry has been kneaded, divide pastry into two portions; one slightly larger than the other.  Take the larger pastry (about 2/3 of the quantity) and roll out to fit an 8-inch pie plate.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 180 C.  To assemble, pour the pie filling into the prepared pie case.  Roll out the other half of the pastry, lift carefully and place over the filling,  Crimp the edges carefully,  Brush the beaten egg all over the top.  Use a sharp knife to cut some slits.  Bake for about 40 minutes until crust is golden.  Serve warm.

Note : For the last 10 minutes of cooking, I used the bottom heat of the oven to ensure that the pie crust is totally dry and completely cooked,.


No comments:

Post a Comment