Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sotong Goreng Cili Padi

Star Q


There is nothing that beats a hot and spicy dish especially one that contains fish or chicken.  My family seems to adore fish or chicken fried with some birds eye chillies.  There is something about the aroma and also the spiciness of the dish that encourages them to eat heartily.

But this time around my wife and I decided to replace the fish (usually catfish) and chicken with squids.  I have no problems about cooking with squids even though I am not able to eat them.  I am happy as long as my family enjoys it.

And as I suspected, my children especially enjoyed the squids fried with birds eye chillies.

  • 500 g squids, cleaned and cut into rings
  • 5 shallots, pounded
  • 3 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 10 green birds eye chillies, pounded
  • 2 tbs tamarind juice
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 4 tbs cooking oil
  • Salt to taste

Poach the squids for a few seconds to rid them of their water content.  Dish out and set aside.  Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil and saute the shallots, garlic and birds eye chillies until fragrant.  Stir in the tamarind juice, sugar and salt.  Cook for five to six seconds before adding the squids.  Stir the mixture and allow to cook for another minute.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment