Sunday, September 7, 2014

Super Simple Roast Chicken

Star Q
This is the roast chicken which I served with the Parmesan beans (I shared the recipe in my previous entry in the 'simple' theme!)  I call this Super Simple Roast Chicken because it really is super simple.  In short preparing the roast chicken was literally stress-free!

But as I mentioned earlier, something as simple as this super simple roast chicken can indeed be the best.  Since my kids are not very vocal about their appreciativeness towards the dishes that I prepare (not very often anyway) I always rely on their actions to find out about this.  I can always tell that they like what I prepare when they ask for second helpings, or they lick their fingers after meals, or ask if I created the recipe by myself.

This roast chicken is a throw-everything-in-and-marinade the chicken sort of dish.  Followed by bung-the-chicken-in-the-oven and just leave it for an hour so that you can get on with your other chores or catch up with some soap (or the Food Channel Network!)

Anyway, here's the super simple recipe!

  • One 1-kg chicken, cut into half along the spine
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1 tsp whole grain mustard
  • 2 tsp chicken stock granules
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 6 large cloves garlic, smashed

Rub all the ingredients onto the chicken and allow to marinade for one hour.  About ten minutes before cooking preheat oven at 180 C.  Lift the two chicken pieces and set aside on a plate.  Mix the reserved chicken marinade with some par-boiled potatoes.  Place the potatoes into a roasting pan and place the two chicken pieces on top of the potatoes.  Roast the chicken and potatoes for 50 minutes.  Once the chicken is cooked, cover with foil and set aside while you continue to cook the potatoes further with the Parmesan beans on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment