Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Simple Beef Stew

Star Q


This is another dish that uses whatever ingredients that have been lying in the fridge because there were too many of them.  This usually happens when I buy in bulk due to the cheaper prices of the ingredients or sometimes I buy them because I just fancy how they look; usually due to their freshness or their sudden availability in the market after a long absence.  Well, like local fruits, vegetables have their own seasons too.

I am the sort of person who likes to see the fridge well-stocked and full to the brim, while my wife is the one who likes to see the fridge well organised with some empty spaces so that the other things in the fridge have their own space to breathe (that's what she says)

So, when she tells me to clear the fridge, I do as I am told by using up as many of the things as part of the ingredients for whatever it is I want to cook!  

  • 750 g beef, cut into large-ish cubes
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red capsicum, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 can plum tomatoes (350 g)
  • 1 tbs red pepper flakes
  • 4 tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup apple juice (unsweetened) 
  • 1 litre stock (I used chicken stock)
  • Salt to taste

Heat the olive oil in a heavy base pot then sear the beef cubes in batches.  Set aside the beef cubes.  In the same pot, saute the onion and capsicum until the onion turns translucent.  Stir in the garlic, followed by the dried rosemary and bay leaf until aromatic.  De-glaze the pot with the apple juice.  Next, pour in the plum tomatoes, chicken stock and add in the beef cubes.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. season with salt and pepper and continue to simmer (covered) for an hour.  When the beef cubes are fork-tender, the stew is ready to be served.






No comments:

Post a Comment