Saturday, July 12, 2014

Oyster Mushroom Kerabu

Star Q


Last week I was supposed to visit a school with two of my colleagues.  We had visited one school earlier and the prospect of driving another 50 kilometres didn't really appeal to me.  But my two colleagues insisted on going there, so off they went.  It was just their luck I guess; when they got there they each got a helping of fresh oyster mushrooms as token of appreciation to take home.

Well, I did not feel any kind of envy and I did not into the green-eyed monster.  However, the idea of having oyster mushrooms did appeal to me even though I know I am not supposed to eat mushrooms; any kind of mushrooms.

So, I bought myself half a kilo of oyster mushrooms and turned them into kerabu, something that neither I or my missus have ever done before.  I am happy to say that my girls loved the kerabu which is indeed an incentive for me to try out more new recipes of my own.

  • 500 g oyster mushrooms, cleaned and roughly torn
  • 2 red chillies, julienned 
  • 5 shallots, sliced
  • 2 lemon grass, sliced
  • 4 spring onions, sliced at an angle
  • 10 red birds eye chillies, chopped
  • 15 'belimbing buluh', sliced
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 1 tsp chicken stock granules
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 4 tbs fish sauce
  • Juice from 2 limes

Boil the mushrooms in some water with a little bit of salt.  Once the mushrooms are cooked (but not wilted) drain the liquid and place them with all the vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.  Meanwhile, in a smaller bowl, to make the dressing, mix together the anchovy stock and chicken stock granules, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice until the sugar is diluted.  Pour the dressing into the vegetables and mix thoroughly.  Set aside in the fridge for at least an hour before serving so that the flavours marry together.

No comments:

Post a Comment