Saturday, July 5, 2014

Grilled Dory with Bechamel Sauce

Star Q
Well, Ramadhan is here again and since all are at home once again, seeing that most local universities are having their long three-month holidays, I can expect to get many requests from my kids for me to prepare certain dishes or anything that captures their fancy.

For the first day of Ramadhan the request was for something which my daughter saw on Giada's cooking show, Broiled Halibut with Bechamel Sauce.  I was quite reluctant to make the dish, mainly because it is difficult for us to get frozen halibut fillet here, let alone fresh ones.  And the second reason was, I really didn't feel like making anything that fancy.

But, I decided to give in and finally made the dish.  Of course I tweaked the recipe here and there, especially the type of fish which I used and the liquid I used to poach the fish.  Here's my version.

For the fish :

  • 4 6-ounce pieces of Dory fillet
  • 1 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 2 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 1 sprig parsley
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients above into a large sauce pan and bring the liquid to a boil.  Once boiling reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 8 minutes.  The liquid may not be enough to cover the fish, so you may need to turn the fish half way through the cooking process.  When the fish is cooked, carefully lift the fish and arrange in a single layer in a prepared baking dish.  Season with salt and pepper.

For the Bechamel Sauce :

  • 5 tbs butter (I used salted)
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 2 cups milk, warmed
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a sauce pan.  Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Gradually add the warm milk whisking constantly to prevent any lumps.  Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sauce is thick and smooth (about ten minutes or less)  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper and grated Parmesan

Spoon the bechamel sauce over the fish and top with grated Parmesan (another 1/2 cup).  Dot with butter and grill until golden.

I served the fish with baked Russet potatoes, dolloped with some of the Bechamel sauce on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment