Monday, January 13, 2014

Twice Baked Potatoes

Star Q


I remember having my first ever jacket potatoes when I was with some friends at Leeds Market way back when.  The autumn weather was quite cold (to us at least!)  and even though we had already had our breakfast before visiting the market, we were already feeling very hungry.  The sight of heavy steam coming from the stalls selling food seemed as if they were beckoning for us to come near.

So, every time I have jacket potatoes, I will remember my visit to Leeds Market.  I never owned a pair of jeans and it was there that I bought my first one (I don't have it any more)  I also bought a beautiful plate for my meals (this plate I still have!)  Not that the hostel where I was residing at the time did not provide me with any cutlery.

Anyway, back to potatoes.  This twice-baked potatoes I made for breakfast the other day.
  • 4 Russet potatoes, scrubbed, washed and halved lengthwise
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesam
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 spring onion, chopped
  • 1 small piece, beef bacon, fried and chopped
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt

Rub potatoes all over with the olive oil, salt and half of the black pepper.  Bake in preheated oven at 200 C for about one hour, or until cooked.

Once cooked, let cool then scoop out the flesh of the potatoes (reserve the skins)  Mash the potato flesh and mix in the parmesan and half the grated cheddar cheese along with the spring onions, black pepper and chopped bacon.  Fill this mixture into the potato shells, top with the rest of the grated cheddar and bake at 180 C for about 25 minutes or until top is slightly brown.  Serve warm.

Note ;  I couldn't wait for mine to brown, hence the lack-of-colour.  Nevertheless, they tasted great!










No comments:

Post a Comment