Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ikan Bilis Goreng Tepung / Fresh Anchovy Fritters

Star Q


It's the third week of the new school year and there has been quite a number of public holidays dotted along the week.  This week itself, there were three public holidays.  So, when you add the two-day weekend, you actually have five holidays and only two school day!  Yay!

And with so many holidays in between, I can't feel peckish about eating certain types of food especially the ones my mum used to make.  In my previous entries, I have mentioned that my late mum was a genius in making her dishes seem substantial for her children; a few vegetables can appear a lot after she was done with them.

This 'Fresh Anchovies fried in Batter' is another one of her recipes that serves that purpose.  I now realize that during our difficult days when I was very young, and it was difficult for my dad to make ends meet, fresh anchovies were one type of fish that was quite cheap.  And I guess, to make the anchovies look bigger and more appealing to eat, she dipped them in batter and fried them.  My version may not be exactly like hers, but again, this is my way of immortalizing my mum. 

  • 500 g fresh anchovies, cleaned
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 2 cups vegetable oil

Mix there flour with the water, then add in the turmeric powder, white pepper, salt and anchovy stock granules.  The batter should be as tick as batter for pancake.  Allow the batter to rest for about fifteen minutes.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan.  Place the anchovies into the batter.  Scoop about two or three anchovies and spoon it into the hot oil.   The fritters should be ready when they are golden brown in colour.  Place the cooked anchovy fillets onto some absorbent kitchen paper.  Serve hot.with some sweet chili sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment