Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Kari Senangin a la My Mom's / My Mom's Fish Curry

Star Q


This is the Fish curry I was talking about in my previous entry which I said would go well with the four-angled bean salad or Kerabu Kacang Botol.  What makes this curry so special that I wanted to immortalize it in my blog is because I finally got my late mum's recipe to a 'T' (at least I think so!)

I mean, I have never been a picky eater and where fish curry is concerned I usually wolf down the different variations; but I always long for the one that my mum used to make or one that is as near to it as possible.  So, I experimented again, and this time I am happy with the result so much so that I made enough to last three days since curry always taste better the next day; and the day after that (provided that it is reheated well every day!)  So here's my version of my mum's Fish curry.

  • 1 medium Senangin, cut into five or six pieces
  • 5 shallots, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 2 sprigs curry leaves
  • 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp fenugreek
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seed
  • 1 small packet curry powder
  • 2 tbs chili powder
  • 250 g thick coconut milk
  • 1 golf-ball size tamarind pulp
  • 1 cup water
  • 15 young okras
  • 4 tbs vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a pot then sautee the mustard seeds, fenugreek, fennel seed and curry leaves until fragrant then add the shallots and garlic.  Meanwhile, mix half the coconut milk with one cup water.  Once the shallots look translucent stir in the curry powder (my mum never made her curry powder into a paste!) then add in the diluted coconut milk so that the curry powder does not burn.  Continue to stir until oil begins to appear on the surface of the curry mixture.  Meanwhile mix the tamarind pulp with one cup water and squeeze the juice.  Discard the seeds.  Add in the fish pieces into the pot, followed by the remaining coconut milk and tamarind juice.  Bring to a boil then turn the heat to a simmer.   Add in the salt and okra and simmer gently until the fish is cooked and the okras are tender but still have a bit of crunch.  Serve hot; or the next day or the day after that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment