Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Nasi Goreng Nenas / Pineapple Fried Rice

Star Q
ii.  STPM 2013


Before the holidays, I was among the guests at a year-end lunch organised for a group of students.  Actually, I was not only the guest, I was also in charge of finding a caterer for the lunch.  There was an array of dishes provided by the caterer and I actually had hoped that all the guests, including the students, were happy with the dishes.  I, on the other hand, was quite unhappy with a few of them; including the fried rice.

So, this is the reason why I decided to make my version of the Pineappe Fried Rice.  It may not be the typical one that so many are familiar with, especially the Thai version.  In a way it is much more fulfilling to have made it myself; firstly it really looked more appetising and secondly, I tweaked it according to my liking.


  • 4  cups cooked rice, cooled
  • 10 birds eye chillies, pounded
  • 3 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 2 shallots, pounded.
  • 1/2 yellow capsicum, cut into diamond shapes
  • 1/4 red capsicum, cut into diamond shapes
  • 1/2 cup canned pineapples, cubed
  • 1/4 cup roasted cashew nuts
  • 2 chicken sausages, sliced into coins
  • 1/2 cup diced chicken (I used dark meat)
  • 3 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil

Heat the vegetable oil in a wok and saute the chillies, garlic and shallots.  Add in the chicken meat and sausages, and stir until they are cooked.  Pour in the oyster sauce and fish sauce and cook until the sauce starts to thicken.  Next, stir in the red and yellow capsicums and the pineapple.  Stir in the rice and continue to cook until the rice looks dry and glossy.  Finally stir in the sesame oil and the roasted cashew nuts.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment