Saturday, May 4, 2013

Koay Teow Ladna - ala Muazam

Star Q


This is really an adaptation of a dish I had when I was on the way home from Terengganu.  It was about 7.20 p.m. and the bus driver decided to stop by this roadside restaurant (I forgot the name!) so that everyone could have their dinner before continuing our journey.

Once I sat down at the table and read the menu, I noticed they offered Thai dishes.  I suppose the dishes were as authentic as any other Thai cuisine because the waiters and other staff there spoke in a very peculiar Kelantanese dialect reminiscent of the Thais.  And so I decided to try the Koay Teow Ladna, which really did not disappoint me at all (which incidentally is slightly different from the one I published in my blog earlier)  I ate my food very slowly, carefully tasting every spoonfuls of the dish, trying to figure out the ingredients (besides the obvious ones) because I was sure the staff were not willing to disclose the recipe.

So, I tried this one out and I came quiet close to the taste of the dish that I had there.

  • 500 g koay teow (flat noodles)
  • 200 g prawns, shelled and deveined
  • 200 g squids, cleaned
  • 200 g chicken breast, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 carrot, cut into matchsticks 
  • 1 cups cauliflower florets
  • 10 green birds eye chilies, halved
  • 2 pieces kafir lime leaves
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbs kalamansi lime juice
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • A few slices of spring onions

Heat the oil in a wok and saute the garlic and birds eye chilies.  Stir in the prawns, squids and chicken pieces until the prawns turn pink.  Add the oyster sauce and water followed by the carrots and cauliflower.  When the vegetables are tender but still crisp, season with salt (if necessary because some oyster sauce can be salty)  Stir in the koay teow till all ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Before dishing out, put in the kafir lime leaves and kalamansi lime juice.  Garnish with some spring onions and serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment