Sunday, February 10, 2013

Celebratory Carrot Cake

Star Q



No!  I'm afraid I did not make this to celebrate Chinese New Year!  Although, I would like to wish all my Chinese friends celebrating it a very happy and prosperous Luna New Year!

Actually I made this cake some time ago right after I finished marking my exam papers!  It really was a time to celebrate because I finally finished marking the four hundred and eighty-seventh paper; all in a span of fourteen days!  I found it to be a grueling task because I have never got that many scripts and to complete marking them was an event to be celebrated!

I love making this cake because of it's sheer simplicity!  See if you like it too!

  • 150 ml sunflower oil (I used corn oil)
  • 250 g self-raising flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 150 g muscovado sugar (I used light brown)
  • 60 g coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 125 g grated carrots
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbs milk (I used buttermilk)
Lightly grease and line a 7-inch square cake tin.  Preheat oven to 180 C.  Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.  Mix well until thoroughly blended.  Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.  Bake for fifty minutes.  Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

Cream cheese topping :

  • 250 g low-fat cheese, at room temperature (I used regular cream cheese)
  • 2 tbs runny honey
  • 1 tbs lemon juice (I used lime)
Beat the ingredients until smooth and spread the topping over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment