Sunday, July 3, 2011

Second Take At Bread Pudding


Dense but soft and not too sweet


I remember making this some time back but it turned out a bit hard, presumably because I used too many eggs and too little milk.  I was encouraged to try this pudding again today, again because I had a request from my children and this time my wife suggested that I make it a bit softer.

And this time I also added a little bit more trimmings than the last time.  Once baked, the pudding turned out as I expected, soft and not too sweet, much to the delight of my children (and my wife too!)  So, here's the recipe.
  • 8 slices day-old bread
  • 5 medium sized eggs
  • 1 tin evaporated milk (I used the 400g tin Ideal Milk)
  • 6 tbs granulated sugar
  • 2 tbs muscovado sugar
  • 10 glace cherries, chopped
  • 80 g almond flakes
  • some butter

Right out of the oven!

Beat the sugar and eggs until the sugar dissolves then stir in the evaporated milk.  Cut the bread diagonally into quarters and spread some butter on each slice.  Arrange in a greased 8 x 8 inch baking tin then pour the egg mixture slowly evenly over the bread.  Scatter the glace cherries on top of the bread followed by the flaked almonds.  Dot some butter and leave to stand a while so that the milk steep into the bread.  Bake for 35 minutes at 180 C.  Serve warm. (If your children can wait that long!)


1 comment: