Saturday, July 16, 2011

Masak Lemak Daging Salai dengan Pisang Muda!

The other day my school canteen operator accepting a catering job from one of the local residents and one of the dishes in the menu included one that used Smoked Beef.  I don't very much fancy beef because I have had some unpleasant experiences with those that are stringy and sometimes not very fresh.  But when I saw my canteen operator actually smoking the beef, I quickly bought some from her. 

The usual way of cooking Smoked Beef is in coconut milk with bamboo shoots or a type of local mango.  I however prefer to prepare it with some young bananas.  This dish is a favourite amongst people from the state of Negeri Sembilan and the ingredients may vary from one district to another.  Nevertheless, this is my version of Smoked Beef cooked with coconut milk and young bananas.

5 stalks lemon grass
5 shallots
2 thumb size fresh turmeric
20 birds eye chilies
6 cups coconut cream
15 young bananas ( I like to have more!)
1/2 kilo smoked beef, thinly sliced
2 pieces 'Asam Kandis'
salt to taste

Grind the first four ingredients in a blender together with two cups of plain water.  Pour this into a pot, add the smoked beef and simmer until the beef is tender.  Then add the young bananas and boil until half-cooked.  Add the coconut cream, 'asam kandis' and kandis.  Simmer slowly until the bananas are tender.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment