Thursday, February 2, 2017

Korean Fried Chicken / Ayam Goreng Korea

Star Q



Ever since the influx of several cooking programmes on television highlighting Korean dishes,  I must admit that I am more than intrigued by the popularity generated through them.  Plus, the fact that my kids have had the chance to sample some Korean dishes, added to the excitement to know what the buzz was all about.

And the intrigue reach fever pitch when one of my children asked me to prepare Korean Fried Chicken.  I must say that I was ecstatic about the outcome of the dish because my daughter asked me to make it again.

My version is a combination of a preparation taken from two sites.  I adapted the recipe for the fried chicken from one and from the other, I adapted the recipe for the pickled white radish.  I have never had white radish raw before, but pickling made it bearable; in fact it complements the fried chicken.

For the Fried Chicken :
  • 600 g chicken wings, drummettes and wingettes
  • 1/2 cup potato starch (I used corn starch)
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Vegetable oil for deep frying
  • Sesame seeds and spring onions for garnish

Season the chicken, then coat well with the corn starch.  Set aside.

For the dressing :
  • 2 - 3 tbs gojuchang (Korean red pepper paste)
  • 1 tbs apple cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
  • 1 tbs hot water
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 1 tbs soy sauce

Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and stir to mix well.

Heat the oil in a wok.  Shake the excess corn starch from the chicken wings.  Then drop the wings gently into the oil and fry until golden brown or cooked and crispy.  Once cooked, remove the wings from the oil and drain on kitchen towels.  Combine the dressing and the chicken wings, and toss to coat well.  Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment