Saturday, October 17, 2015

Scotch Eggs Mini dengan Nasi Lemak

Star Q


It's the weekend!  My kids and my daughter-in-law are home.  My better half had decided to wake up quite early on a Sunday morning to prepare Nasi Lemak with all the trimmings.  Tall order for a lazy Sunday morning, but no one has ever accused my wife of being lazy; certainly not me!

I usually hate to her toiling alone in the kitchen, so I half-heartedly extricated myself from my semi-sleeping stage and dragged my heavy feet into the kitchen to see what I could do to help.  Nothing!  She had everything under control and I felt quite helpless.

So, to make myself useful, I decided to make Scotch Eggs to go along with the Nasi Lemak; Scotch Eggs which are traditionally British paired with Nasi Lemak, which is traditionally Malaysian.  A match made in culinary heaven.  Talk about mixed marriage!

Why Scotch Eggs with Nasi Lemak?  Because when we do have Nasi Lemak, the side dishes would include eggs (omelette or hard-boiled) and chicken (simply fried or Rendang)  So, instead of having two separate dishes, I decided to merge the egg part and the chicken part into one, and came up with Mini Scotch Eggs using ground chicken meat (instead of the traditional beef).  Oh yes! I used quail eggs instead of chicken because I think they're cute.

And for this entry, I am only going to share the outrageously simple Scotch Eggs recipe.

  • 400 g ground chicken meat
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1 tsp chicken stock granules
  • 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp AP flour 
  • 10 hard-boiled quails' eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1 egg, beaten

In a bowl, mix the first six ingredients together, then form into 10 balls.  Meanwhile, prepare the breading station; fill one plate with the flour, one with the egg and another with the panko breadcrumbs.  Take one of the chicken meatballs, make an indentation, place one quail egg and gently shape the meat around the egg.  Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, next in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.  Repeat the process with the other nine chicken meatballs. Put uncooked Scotch eggs in the fridge for about 10 minutes to firm up.

Heat the 1-cup vegetable oil in a pan and fry the eggs in batches until golden brown.  Cool the eggs slightly, halve them and serve with the Nasi Lemak, Sambal Tumis Ikan Bilis and sliced cucumbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment