Sunday, March 15, 2015

Cheesy Fried Bananas

Star Q


I have heard about it for quite some time now.  I have seen pictures of it, heard people talking about it (with rave reviews) and seen documentaries on television about it.  But I have never actually got to try this much talked about Cheesy Fried Bananas.

As usual, I have never entertained the idea of travelling long distances merely to try out new dishes recommended by friends or relatives.  I have always preferred to make the dishes myself through my own research either scouring through magazines or the internet.  However, this time I decided to try this recipe based on how a friend of mine described it.

Actually, this Cheesy Fried Bananas can be dolled up by giving a little touch up with some sprinkles of hundreds-and-thousands, or chocolate rice or even chocolate  chips/shavings.  Anyway, my version is the simple and unadulterated version.

  • 6 ripe bananas, halved
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • A pinch of salt
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • Vegetable oil for deep frying
  • Some sweetened  condensed milk
  • Some grated Cheddar cheese

Mix the AP flour, rice flour, turmeric and salt with just enough water to get a smooth pancake-like batter.  Meanwhile heat the oil in a wok.  Dip the banana halves into the batter and fry until golden.  Dish out and place on absorbent kitchen towels.  I prefer the cheese to melt slightly when serving, so while the fried bananas are still quite hot, place on a serving dish, drizzle over some sweetened condensed milk and finally sprinkle over the grated Cheddar cheese and serve!

Note : For me, this is a once-in-a-while indulgence because of the FRIED bananas, SWEETENED condensed milk and Cheddar CHEESE!


No comments:

Post a Comment