Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pepes Ayam / Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf

Star Q
There are a few types of food that I cannot eat and have forced myself not to consume them.  It is not so much that I cannot consume them but for health reasons, I have forced myself to avoid them.  But that doesn't mean that my family has to be denied the pleasure of enjoying the types of food that I can't have.

Thus, every time I or my wife prepares any kind of food that I can't eat like beef, mushrooms or even soy based products namely tofu, we usually prepare one more dish especially for me, which is usually fish.  Talking about fish, the doctor has even warned me not to consume fish that have no scales like catfish and mackerel.  So, even when I do eat fish, they have to be those that have scales on them like pomfret, baramundi and red mullet!  Sigh! 

And so it was on the day when everyone in the family made a unanimous decision to have beef soup for lunch, that I was forced to dig into the darkest recesses of my brain to search for something that I could prepare for myself.  And I recalled this recipe from Hobi Memasak which looked (and turned out) interesting and which I tweaked.  

  • 1 chicken thigh, deboned and cut into small cubes
  • 5 candlenuts
  • 4 red chillies, chopped
  • 10 red birds eye chillies
  • 1 lemongrass, sliced
  • 3 shallots, sliced
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 2 tbs thin tamarind juice
  • Some banana leaves

Place all the ingredients, except the banana leaves and the chicken cubes in a blender and blitz until you get a smooth paste.  Put this mixture into a container along with the chicken cubes and allow to marinade for at least half an hour.  Meanwhile prepare the banana leaves by softening them on top of a low flame.

Now, place one tablespoon of the chicken mixture onto a piece of banana leaf.  I got seven portions out of this batch.  Fold and secure with a toothpick.  Steam for half an hour.  Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment