Friday, March 7, 2014

Puding Roti Lapis Epal / Apple Layered Bread Pudding

Star Q


Okay.  It's the first week of March and two months have gone by so quickly.  January and February passed by so fast, that when I turn to see where the days have gone, it's already too late.  It brings the proverb 'time flies when you're having fun' into a new meaning.

Yes, I have been rather busy in February, what with the new appointment and all, plus learning new things all at the same time.  There is nothing for me to refer to where predecessors are concerned because there isn't any!  I have learn as I go with a little guidance here and there.

But one thing that remains the same for sure, is my passion for cooking, which as I have mentioned a few times, helps me to release myself from all the stresses of my daily occupation.  Only now I have to really wait for the weekend to dabble in my hobby.  It's like I don't have enough hours on hand that I seem to be doing more cooking on the weekend nowadays than I used to before, especially when all my kids are home.

This one I made not just because the kids are home, but because the missus wanted to throw some three day old bread.  I thought, why not make it into something we could have for tea, and so I did.

  • 300 ml fresh milk
  • 300 ml cream
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1/4 cup strawberry jam
  • 6 slices Gardenia Butterscotch Bread, sliced into four diagonally
  • 1/4 cups sultanas, soaked in hot water to plump them up
  • 1 Granny Smith, sliced thinly
  • 4 eggs
  • 60 g soft brown sugar

Butter one side of each slice of bread, then spread with the strawberry jam.  Arrange twelve pieces of the bread in a lightly greased oven proof dish.  Beat the eggs with the sugar, then with the milk and cream.  Pour one third of this mixture onto the bread and let stand for five to ten minutes.  Arrange the apple slices onto the bread then sprinkle the sultanas evenly on top.  Arrange the remaining bread slices on top then pour over the rest of the milk mixture, and let stand for another six to ten minutes.   Cover the dish with foil and bake in preheated oven at 180 C for about thirty minutes.  After this, remove the foil and continue to bake for another fifteen minute or until the surface of the pudding turns golden brown.  Serve warm or leave to cool completely.






No comments:

Post a Comment