Monday, March 17, 2014

Murtabak Biskut Lemak / Layered Cream Crackers

Star Q
Today I decided to prepare two dishes, the first was Penne with Chicken Meatballs in Roasted Peppers and Tomato Sauce and the second one, Murtabak Biskut Lemak or Cream Crackers layered with Chicken.  First I shall be sharing the recipe for the Murtabak.  I have made this many, many years ago when I was young(-er) and still living with my parents.

I vaguely recall my late mother making something similar to this.  We were not well off then, so my mother had to rely on her ingenuity to diversify all the basic cooking ingredients that were available at home during those days; and where cooking is concerned she was a genius and my mentor!

As the days went by, and some (only a small fraction) of her cooking skills had rubbed on to me, she gave me some opportunities to do some cooking in our home.  As there were no facilities for me to update all my recipes for the public then, this version that I prepared today, would seem like it is the first time I am making it.

For the filling between the crackers :
  • 350 g ground chicken meat
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs chopped parsley
  • 1 tbs curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 chicken stock cubes
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 1/2 cup water

**  500 ml coconut cream (I used from the carton)
**  6 eggs, beaten and seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
**  27 pieces cream crackers
**  Some butter to grease the baking pan

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion until translucent then add the garlic.  Next add the curry powder and chilli powder and fry until aromatic then add the chicken.  Stir until the chicken meat changes colour, then pour in the water and put in the chicken stock cubes.  Once the ingredients come to a boil, lower the heat and simmer gently until all the moisture has evaporated.  Stir in the chopped parsley and set aside to cool.

Assembly :

Place the coconut cream in casserole and soak 9 pieces of cream crackers for no more than a minute.  Then arrange the cream crackers at the bottom of a greased baking pan.  Spread an even layer of half of the chicken mixture then spoon over one third of the beaten egg.  Repeat this process once again.  End with a layer of cream crackers which have been soaked in the coconut cream.  Pour the remaining coconut cream over the crackers followed by the remaining beaten eggs.  Cover the baking pan with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated oven at 190 C for 50 minutes.  After that, remove the foil and bake for a further ten minutes until the top is golden brown.  Let cool to set before serving.  Serve warm with some sweet chilli sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment