Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prawn Sambal with Tapioca

Star Q


A  month has gone without me making any entry into this blog and I have been eager to write down about some of the things I cooked.  I haven't been able to do so because there was something wrong with my laptop.

After the long hiatus, I thought I'd share something that happens to be one of my favourite breakfast which is boiled tapioca (or some places call it cassava)   This tuber is quite popular not least because of its versatility.  It can be eaten as is, or accompanied with sambal for a savoury taouch, or with coconut and sugar for a sweet option.  It can be turned into desserts or added to gravy to make it more substantial.

But for this entry I'm sharing my wife's recipe for this prawn sambal which we had with the tapioca. 

  • 500 g prawns, shelled and deveined
  • 3 onions, sliced into wedges
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chili paste
  • 1 cup tamarind juice
  • 1 thumb size shrimp paste, crumbled
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • about 30 stinky beans (optional)

Heat the oil in a wok and fry the stinky beans for a minute, then dish out and set aside.  Next saute the onions until aromatic.  Add in the garlic followed by the chili paste and shrimp paste.  Fry until oil appears onto the surface.  Next add in the tamarind juice, sugar and salt, and bring to a boil and allow the sambal to simmer until it has thickened a bit.  Then add in the prawns and fried stinky beans (if using) and simmer until the prawns are just cooked.  Dish out and serve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment