Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Laksa Sarawak Parte Dos

Star Q


It has been quite some time since I had the pleasure of enjoying a bowl of Laksa Sarawak.  The last time I made it (can't remember when) I prepared it from scratch even when many of my Sarawak friends told me that it was much easier to use the ready-made spice mix.

This time around I had a packet of ready-made Laksa Sarawak spice mix; one brand that is much sought after even by the locals there.  My daughter's friend who is studying in Samarahan over in Sarawak brought back a packet of the spice mix along with some kek lapis, which incidentally is another food item that Sarawak is famous for.

My daughter requested that we prepared Laksa Sarawak the moment she received the spice mix, but it was only after a few days that we managed to prepare it.  I decided to omit the sambal udang kering and even the bean sprouts which was supposed to to go with the laksa as accompaniment.  I actually made it as simple as I could, and as it turned out, my daughter and I, each had several helpings of the laksa.

  • 1 packet Laksa Sarawak paste
  • 500 g fresh laksa
  • 200 ml coconut cream 
  • 1 liter water
  • 2 lemon grass, bruised
  • 1 piece chicken breast (bones reserved)
  • 10 prawns (shells reserved)
  • 1 piece Asam Gelugor
  • 2 chicken stock cubes
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges

First, blanch the fresh laksa in some hot water, strain and set aside.  Place the water in a pot along with the chicken bones, prawn shells and lemon grass.  This will be the stock.  Bring to a boil.  After it has been boiling for about three minutes, turn off the heat and strain the stock and return to the pot.  First, poach the chicken breast until cooked.  Dish out and allow to cool.  One cooled, shred the chicken meat and set aside.  

Next, poach the prawns until they turn pale orange.  Lift out from the stock and set aside.  Put the laksa paste into the stock along with the coconut cream, chicken stock cubes and Asam Gelugor.  Simmer the stock for about five minutes, then off the heat.  In the mean time, prepare one thin omelet using the two eggs.  Once cooked, roll and slice.

To serve, place a portion of fresh laksa into a bowl.  Top with the shredded chicken meat, some prawns and slices of omelet.  Pour over some of the stock and squeeze juice from a lime wedge.  Serve hot.

Note : My apologies to my Sarawak friends for tweaking this recipe which is done out of convenience.


No comments:

Post a Comment