Saturday, November 14, 2015

Not My Mom's Baked Macaroni

Star Q


This endeavor started off as something which was supposed to be an adventurous one.  I had wanted to reproduce one of my late mom's pasta dish.  However, after considering the fact that it was a very elaborate dish, I opted for a simpler version; as usual!
   
My mom's versions had different layers with different ingredients and different stages of cooking, and she had all the patience in the world doing all those things.  I, on the other hand, do not have that genetic trait from my mom since I don't have the patience and am often easily agitated when things get too tedious.

And so I ended up making this all-in-one thingy.  I actually had my fingers crossed throughout the cooking process, hoping that the dish would come out as one solid block instead of running all over the place.  Fortunately, the pasta dish behaved itself and I was quite surprised that it looked rather presentable and my kids loved it, albeit with lots to chili sauce.  Sigh!

  • 200 g macaroni, cooked till al dente
  • 150 g chicken breast, cleaned and diced
  • 1 tbs soup powder (I used Adabi Rempah Sup)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 red capsicum, diced
  • 6 button mushrooms, diced
  • 1/4 cup petit pois
  • 1 chicken stock cube
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil 
  • 1 cup of grated cheese
  • 4 eggs*
  • 1 cup milk*
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper*
  • Salt to taste*

Grease a 3 x 8 inch cake tin.  Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic.  One aromatic, stir in the soup powder for a minute, followed by the chicken cubes.  Cook until chicken pieces are half-cooked, then add in the capsicum, mushrooms and about three tablespoons of water.  Once the chicken is cooked, add the petit pois and crumble in the chicken stock cube.  Stir and simmer for another minute, then dish out into a bowl and set aside.  Preheat oven to 180 C.

In a jug, stir all the ingredients marked (*) to make the custard.  Pour this into the bowl of chicken mixture, then stir in 3/4 cup of the grated cheese.  I used whatever I had in the fridge; Cheddar, Parmesan and Mozzarella.  Spoon the chicken mixture into the prepared tin, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and cook for about 30 - 35 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment