Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Care for a Carrot Cake?

Mine!

Tomorrow will be the last pot-luck for this semester for our teachers' common room, a tradition I and a few other senior teachers initiated last year when I was the Chairperson for the school's Staff Club.  Initially the pot-luck was organised on a weekly basis, that is every Wednesday.  We chose that particular day since it is a co-curriculum day and all teachers would be in school until 5.00 p.m.  It was later reduced to once every fortnight partly due to the constraint of thinking up recipes to prepare for the pot-luck menu but mainly due to the school's canteen operator's dissatisfaction at the lack of number of teachers who go to eat there on that particular day!

I actually wanted to make a Victoria Sandwich for tomorrow's pot-luck, but after second thoughts I decided to make a simple Carrot Cake, one that I have made countless number of times, successfully.  Even though it was not difficult to make, I didn't want to make the Victoria Sandwich because I was too lazy to make the butter cream icing.  Plus the Carrot Cake was much easier to make.  Check out the ingredients plus the procedure!  Simply easy!


This batch is for the pot-luck

  • 8 ounces self-raising wholemeal flour (I used ordinary self-raising flour!)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 5 ounces soft brown sugar (I used caster sugar, since that was what I had!)
  • 4 ounces grated carrot (I always have carrots in the fridge!)
  • 2 medium sized eggs
  • 4 ounces walnuts, roughly chopped (I always have these too!)
  • 180ml sunflower oil
  • 1 tbs milk

Weigh and measure all the ingredients then put them all in a bowl and mix until well blended.  Bake for 50 minutes at 180 C.  The 8" x 8" cake tin, needless to say, needs to be lined and greased before use, since this is a very moist cake and would definitely stick to the tin!

I have also decided not to put the cream cheese topping because I will be using it in another recipe which will be coming to this blog soon!  Until then, have fun trying this truly simple Carrot Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment